Today is the kick off to my Christmas traditions. For those of you who do not know, today is St. Nicholas Day. If you leave your shoes by the door, St. Nicholas will leave presents in them the next morning. This morning St. Nick brought me candy, slippers and a fuzzy robe. I thought it would be fun to share all my Christmas traditions with you.
- Kick off with St. Nicholas Day
- Watch the following Christmas movies on repeat
- The Grinch
- Home Alone
- White Christmas
- Family Man
- It’s A Wonderful Life
- The Holiday
- Draw names for “secret santa“- My sisters and I always draw names for who we will be buying a gift for. We used to try to keep it a secret, but we never were able to keep it a secret for long.
- Go shopping multiple times a week until it is 12/25– Jason and I have a lot of people to buy gifts for, and that keeps us pretty busy.
- Decorate the Christmas tree- Ever since I was a little girl, my mom would give each of us a special ornament to put on the tree. Once we were married, she gave us all of the ornaments from our childhood to decorate our own tree. Jason still buys me a special ornament every year.
- Buy Remmy a Christmas sweater– I don’t know why, but I think it is so cute when dogs wear Christmas sweaters. Remmy, of course, is the cutest of them all.
- Drive by the Christmas lights– This is when you put on your favorite pajamas, grab a mug of hot cocoa and get in the car. I remember driving around and looking at the lights until I fell asleep in the car. Jason is now in charge of driving me around to look at lights.
- Eat bubble bread– We would wake up and eat yummy yummy “bubble bread” that my mom would make. It is like a caramel roll.
- Open Stockings- My stocking was green and had snowman on the front. I had a huge obsession with snowmen. I even had a snowman collection. It was so hard to sit still and wait until the story was finished.
- Read the Christmas story before opening presents- Every year my dad would read the story of Jesus’s birth before we could open presents.
- Listen to Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers Christmas album while opening presents- Jason hates this tradition, but I love it.
- Giving people their gifts before Christmas-This doesn’t happen every year, but I do always try to give people their presents early. I beg and beg and beg, until finally they give in. I just get way to excited to wait. I JUST LOVE CHRISTMAS.
Having Christmas traditions is so much fun. It is fun to carry on traditions from our childhood and also make new ones. Comment below with your favorite holiday traditions.