Today is a super exciting day for a couple of reasons. The first is because it is my birthday and the second reason is because Live. Love. Chardonnay turns one as well. I decided to launch my blog on my birthday last year with a post on a Shift Dress. Launching my blog was one of the scariest and most rewarding things I have done. I have definitely learned a lot throughout my first year and wanted to share my mistakes and successes with you.
The Do’s and Don’ts
- Be genuine and true to yourself. Make sure everything you are doing is because you are passionate about it and not because you saw someone else do it.
- Post consistently. This is so important. You want to be predictable so your followers know when to check out the newest posts.
- Don’t give up! You will have your ups and downs, but stay positive and keep going!
- Don’t just jump into blogging. Research, Research, Research. Find what host and platform you want to use and would fit you best.
- Do not use a free site. Pay for your site so that you own it!
- Cross promote your social media channels. This is a great way to grow in all areas. You do not want to only focus on one channel, because if that channel fails in the future, you will have lost everything.
- Do not compare yourself to other bloggers. You are doing your own thing. Do not worry about how many likes or followers someone else has. Focus on how to grow your own following.
- Network with other bloggers (local and distant). Chat with other bloggers about what works for them and bounce ideas off each other.
- Never pay to be an affiliate to a company. You will have plenty of opportunities to collaborate with companies who will not ask you to pay.
- Use linking programs like RewardStyle and Shopstyle Collective. These are a great way to increase traffic and let your followers shop your look.
- Don’t do big generic loop giveaways. You will get followers, but they won’t be genuine and probably will not stick around.
- Do not work with companies who do not fit your brand. You will be offered so many products. Make sure that they vibe with your blog and you aren’t accepting them just because they are free.
- Direct message and email companies that you are interested in working with. You may get a response and you may not, but at least you tried.
- Use hashtags. This is a great way to increase your impressions. If you are going to use hashtags, make sure you switch them up every few posts and also double check that they are relevant to your post.
- Filters are your friend. Don’t be scared to use filters and to edit your photos. The better a photo looks the more likely it will catch someone’s eye.
- Use a content calendar. Plan what you want to post and when. This is a great way to stay organized and to jot down your ideas.
- Engage with your followers. Like their photos and respond to their comments. They are taking time out of their day to engage with you. Engage back! It is SOCIAL media after all.
- Challenge yourself. Set goals…..achieve them…..then set higher goals. Always try to improve and try new things.
These are some of the big things that I have learned over the last year. It has been a very exciting and exhausting year (and I would not have it any other way). I cannot wait to see where Live. Love. Chardonnay will be this time next year. Thank you so much for following along on the journey. Now, go and explore your #chardonnaystyle.